Cleaning Your Teeth Properly: Why a Toothbrush alone Is Not Enough

Interdental brushes and dental floss are a must for clean teeth. This allows you to thoroughly clean the spaces between your teeth when brushing.

If you only clean your teeth with a brush, you only reach about 60 percent of the tooth surface; the other 40 percent is covered by interdental brushes and dental floss. Such thorough and regular oral hygiene can significantly support your health. Oral hygiene not only protects your teeth, but can also have a positive effect on your general health.

Studies indicate a connection between periodontitis and cardiovascular disease. And periodontitis – which affects over eleven million people in Germany – can be triggered by bacterial plaque.

The basis of good oral hygiene is brushing your teeth twice a day. However, the toothbrush only reaches three of the five sides of a tooth. Therefore, the spaces between your teeth should be cleaned of food particles and plaque at least once a day using an interdental brush or dental floss. Interdental brushes come in different sizes and are suitable for different sized spaces between your teeth.

Brushing your teeth properly

When brushing your teeth, the brushing technique or whether you use an electric or manual toothbrush is less important. What is more important is to brush for at least two to three minutes and to have a good brushing system so that all accessible surfaces are cleaned.

The toothbrush should not be pressed too hard to avoid injuring the gums; the brush should be changed after three months at the latest.