The keto diet is a revolutionary new method for permanent weight loss and general improvement of metabolic processes in the body.
The idea of this type of diet is not a drastic weight loss with the risk of a yo -yo effect, but the education of the body, and especially of the taste buds, to a certain type of food.
Essentially, the ketogenic diet is a low-carb, high-fat, moderate-protein diet. This diet stimulates the body to burn fat, not carbohydrates.
When we drastically reduce carbohydrate intake and replace it with fat, we put the body into a metabolic state called ketosis. Thus, the body efficiently transforms fats into energy. In this way, they create ketones in the liver, which supply the brain with energy. In addition, the level of insulin, which is one of the most important hormones in the body, is normalized.
With a ketogenic diet, the food is so filling that you can lose weight without counting calories or keeping track of what you eat. These are the dry facts. But let’s see in practice how all this is achieved.
Types of Keto Diets – A Guide to Goals and Benefits
There are several varieties of the keto diet, the most popular being :
The Standard Keto Diet:
- This is a very low carbohydrate, moderate protein and high fat diet. _ _ _ It usually contains 75 % fat, 20% protein and only 5% carbohydrates ;
- Cyclic Keto Diet :
- It includes higher carb periods, alternating with ” keto days “. _ Most often 5 days are low in carbohydrates and 2 days are higher in intake ( loading days ); _ _
Targeted Keto Diet:
- It allows you to add carbohydrates around your workouts so you don’t compromise your athletic performance ;
- Diet rich in ketone proteins :
- Similar to the standard version, but includes more protein. The ratio is most often 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbohydrate and is mainly used by fitness trainers.
FACT: Standard and rich proteins have been studied in more depth. Cyclic and targeted are more modern methods used especially by athletes.
The principle of keto nutrition
The idea is to eat foods high in fat, keep carbohydrates to a minimum and protein in moderation. The goal is for the body to reach a state of ketosis – fats are extracted from our stores, processed into free fatty acids and then – into keto bodies. These are what our body uses instead of carbohydrates. _ So we lose weight, blood sugar and insulin levels decrease. And that brings health and beauty.
Keto diet foods – what foods are allowed
Basic foods to eat that should be a mandatory part of our daily menu
- Meat: Red meat, steaks, ham, sausages, bacon, chicken and turkey.
- Fatty fish: such as salmon, trout, tuna and mackerel .
- Eggs : Look for eggs from free – range hens ( what the hen feeds matters a lot ).
- Butter and cream : when possible from freely grass – fed animals .
- Cheese : unprocessed cheese (cheddar, goat , cream , blue or mozzarella).
- Nuts and seeds : almonds , walnuts , flax seeds , pumpkin seeds , chia seeds , etc.
- Healthy fats : mainly cold pressed olive oil , coconut oil and avocado oil . _ _
- Avocado : whole or freshly prepared guacamole .
- Low-carb vegetables : most green vegetables , tomatoes , onions , peppers , etc.
- Seasonings : You can use salt , pepper and various healthy herbs and spices .
FACT : Meat , eggs and nuts are enough to satisfy our body with all the necessary foods for tone and energy .
Foods to avoid
Any food high in carbohydrates should be limited. Here is a list of foods that should be reduced or eliminated following a ketogenic diet:
- Sugary foods : carbonated drinks with sugar , fruit juice , shakes , cake, ice cream , candies , etc.
- Grains or starch : products based on wheat , rice , pasta, cereals, etc.
- Fruit : All fruit , except for small portions of fruit such as strawberries .
- Beans or legumes : peas , beans , lentils , chickpeas, etc.
- Vegetable roots and tubers : potatoes , sweet potatoes , carrots , parsnips , etc.
- Low-fat or diet foods : These are highly processed and often high in carbohydrates .
- Some condiments or sauces : often contain sugar and unhealthy fats .
- Unhealthy fats : limit the intake of processed vegetable oils , mayonnaise , etc.
- Alcohol : Due to its carbohydrate content , many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis .
FACT : Sugary foods , root crops and legumes make the body lazy , and food processing is quite difficult !